Sunday, January 6, 2013

                                                               The Old Beast


Inside this skin
is an old beast,
who once roamed the wild lands
like a nomad.
guided by invisible forces
that drove me night and day,
seldom at rest in one place,
hardly ever alone.
Since death is part of living.
I slept  with one eye open,
fear was both my friend and my enemy.

In time my skin hardened,
years left their mark,
friends died and old places vanished.
life got slower,
more time with myself,
fear said not to stop ,
but there was no place to go,
except to be where I was.
one day I  turned to an angel and  asked
“will you teach me how to be with myself.”

There was only the night sky.
I listened for her words.
Silence screamed.
My muscles tightened,
I wanted to run away,
but it was different this time,
as I chose to stay,
In time silence wrapped around me,
until I felt something that I never had known.

What was spoken had no words.
what I heard was who I am.
my body loosened, my soul relaxed
the old beast found a place to soften,
both eyes could close,
so I could see,
and from inside
I began to pray.

The angel knew her work had been done
she wrapped me in her love
as she found her way to leave
she looked back
to see the beast was gone
and behind was left a man
who was filled a passion to live
as he sat by the fire
alone with his life.


No comments:

Post a Comment